Theme

This week features the topic pick of our 3rd Place Winner of the TLDB Scavenger Hunt, Adam Laarsen! Adam's pick: Lord of the Rings Villains.

Monday, July 30, 2012

The Batman I grew up with...

I love Batman. He's been my favorite superhero since I was a kid. There have been alot of versions since I was 10 years old, picking up Detective Comics from the spinner rack at the local 7-Eleven, then riding home to emerse myself in the stories and artwork. But the version that continues to stick with me the most is the one from my childhood days...The Norm Breyfogle Batman; THAT is MY Batman. Bar none.

Seems to me, the stories focused on Batman being a hero...a SUPER-hero. Fighting the bad guys, saving the innocent, and using his brain to track down clues and work out mysteries. Superheroes back then were somewhat magical.

They were a pinnacle that we couldn't achieve. They were always up on that pedistal, always to be looked up to. It was the fantasy, that thing to aspire to but never reach.

I miss those superheroes.

Today, we get EMO, dark and moody. And just as broken as the rest of us. We get reality, in a sense, as no one can be so flawless. It seems some people like that; and in all honesty, I get enjoyment from these new stories, too. They are entertaining. I just miss that fantasy, that escapism, that came as a 10 year old reading a comic. And I'm a little sad that my son won't get to experience that as well.

So here's my tribute to that great era of comics, and a hope that someday we can return to it.

Cheers
Patrick

8 comments:

  1. Man we had the same idea lol. Fantastic pose on this guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda figured you'd be going this route too. :D I focused on making the composition a bit different an interesting on this one...glad you liked it man. Now give us your 80s Batman!

      Delete
  2. Sweet! Looks a little more Kelly Jonesy than Norm Breyfoglish - which makes sense too, since he was doing covers around then, right? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! I can see the Kelly Jones in it...maybe in the cape. I wasn't trying to ape anyone's style, so it's more a tribute in spirit than anything else. Hopefully it looks like a "Patrick Hoover style." ;)

      Delete
  3. Very cool! I grew up seeing Neal Adams, Dick Giordano and guys from a little earlier era do a very similar Batman and I agree that those were simpler, more magical times for superheroes. Nice work, Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert! Yeah, you can't forget Neal or Dick. They did awesome Batman's as well, and helped define that 80's Batman look. I seriously miss how superhero comics were back then.

      Delete
  4. I'm excited about this week...I think we'll get a lot more folks posting on this particular topic. It'll be pretty awesome to see everyone's different takes (and styles) on the Batman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the effect you put on it! Great illo man!

    ReplyDelete